If you like ginger and/or fruit cake, this is a winner. If you use these quantities, the cake makes 8 pieces which will seem not quite enough ;) You will need to soak overnight so be prepared.
- 280g dates, chopped
- 80g sultanas
- 2tsp instant coffee
- 1tbs freshly grated or minced ginger
- 1/2 cup self-raising white flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising wholemeal flour.
- Add coffee to 1 cup (250ml) of boiling water and stir until coffee dissolves
- Pour over dates and sultanas and soak overnight
- Stir in flour. If it’s a bit dry, add a teaspoon or 2 of hot water, but it is meant to be firm so only add enough to make it easier to mix
- Pour the whole mixture into a paper lined loaf tin
- Bake in a pre-heated 160 degrees celsius oven for 45 minutes.
As my Dad says, "Bloody beautiful" XD